Legal and Copyright Information
This website and all arkOS products are © 2012-2016 CitizenWeb. arkOS™, the arkOS Logo, and arkOS Connect™ are trademarks of CitizenWeb.
The arkOS distribution is a derivative of Arch Linux and Arch Linux ARM. Arch Linux is a trademark of Aaron Griffin and Judd Vinet.
Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi foundation. Cubieboard is a product of Cubietech Ltd. ODROID is a product of Hardkernel Co. Ltd.
Use of Our Brand
"arkOS" and its associated logos and trademarks may be used by anyone in accordance with the following guidelines:
- Commercial derivative works. Commercial derivative works of arkOS, including hardware bundled with arkOS software or third-party online services marketed to arkOS customers, is permitted with certain conditions:
- You may not use a name for your company or commercial product containing the words "ark" or "arkOS"; rather you can make a product and explain that it "works with arkOS", "runs arkOS", "is compatible with arkOS", etc.
- We encourage use of the "Powered by arkOS" logo, available here, for mentions of the arkOS brand in conjunction with your product. You may not manufacture or sell physical or software products with the regular arkOS logo on the product itself or on its packaging.
- Your use of the word "ark", the arkOS name or "Powered by arkOS" logo anywhere in your product must not be intended to confuse people about what arkOS actually is, and such use must not imply endorsement of the derivative work by CitizenWeb or arkOS or affiliation in any way.
- Any appearance of the arkOS name or "Powered by arkOS" image in online promotional materials should be linked to the arkOS project website at https://arkos.io. Offline promotional materials should include the URL of "https://arkos.io" somewhere near the logo.
- You understand that your use of the arkOS trademarks commercially is a privilege, and it is understood that such use can be restricted at any time for any reason by CitizenWeb.
- Non-commercial derivative works. Non-commercial derivative works of arkOS, including open source software intended for use on arkOS, are welcomed. We encourage derivative works to make use of the "Powered by arkOS" logo available here, instead of using the arkOS logo in any marketing or promotional materials. Use of the arkOS trademarks and brand is permitted, as long as such use does not imply endorsement of the derivative work by CitizenWeb or arkOS in any way.
- Commentary. We encourage individuals to use the arkOS trademarks to write about arkOS and to provide commentary or news about the platform, as long as said commentary or news does not imply endorsement by CitizenWeb or arkOS of any other medium, product or organization not associated with arkOS. In the same way, the arkOS trademarks and brand may be used in non-commercial satirical speech in keeping with the laws and regulations of the country of origin, provided such speech does not also contravene any other guideline listed here.
CitizenWeb reserves the right to restrict use of the arkOS trademarks and brand if a project, company or individual is found to be using said trademarks or brand outside of the above guidelines or the spirit of fairness established therein.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site and gather data when you participate in the forum by reading, writing, and evaluating the content shared here.
When registering on our site, you may be asked to enter your name and e-mail address. You may, however, visit our site without registering. Your e-mail address will be verified by an email containing a unique link. If that link is visited, we know that you control the e-mail address.
When registered and posting, we record the IP address that the post originated from. We also may retain server logs which include the IP address of every request to our server.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience — your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve our site — we continually strive to improve our site offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To improve customer service — your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
- To send periodic emails — The email address you provide may be used to send you information, notifications that you request about changes to topics or in response to your user name, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
What is your data retention policy?
We will make a good faith effort to:
- Retain server logs containing the IP address of all requests to this server no more than 90 days.
- Retain the IP addresses associated with registered users and their posts no more than 5 years.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow). These cookies enable the site to recognize your browser and, if you have a registered account, associate it with your registered account.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our site. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Our site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. If this server is in the USA, and you are under the age of 13, per the requirements of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act), do not use this site.
This document is CC-BY-SA. It was last updated April 20, 2016.
Terms of Service
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by CitizenWeb, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
1. Your arkos.io Account
If you create an account on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account. You must immediately notify CitizenWeb of any unauthorized uses of your account or any other breaches of security. CitizenWeb will not be liable for any acts or omissions by you, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
2. Responsibility of Contributors
If you post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, "Content"), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- your content is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
- your content is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company; and
- you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by CitizenWeb or otherwise.
3. User Content License
User contributions are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, CitizenWeb has the right (though not the obligation) to, in CitizenWeb’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in CitizenWeb’s reasonable opinion, violates any CitizenWeb policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in CitizenWeb’s sole discretion. CitizenWeb will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
4. Payment and Renewal
Optional paid services or upgrades may be available on the Website. When utilizing an optional paid service or upgrade, you agree to pay CitizenWeb the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated. Payments will be charged on a pre-pay basis on the day you begin utilizing the service or upgrade and will cover the use of that service or upgrade for a monthly or annual subscription period as indicated. These fees are not refundable.
Unless you notify CitizenWeb before the end of the applicable subscription period that you want to cancel a service or upgrade, your subscription will automatically renew and you authorize us to collect the then-applicable annual or monthly subscription fee (as well as any taxes) using any credit card or other payment mechanism we have on record for you. Subscriptions can be canceled at any time.
Hosting, Support Services
Optional Hosting and Support services may be provided by CitizenWeb under the terms and conditions for each such service. By signing up for a Hosting/Support or Support services account, you agree to abide by such terms and conditions.
6. Responsibility of Website Visitors
CitizenWeb has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, CitizenWeb does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. CitizenWeb disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
7. Content Posted on Other Websites
We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which arkos.io links, and that link to arkos.io. CitizenWeb does not have any control over those non-arkos.io websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-arkos.io website or webpage, CitizenWeb does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. CitizenWeb disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-arkos.io websites and webpages.
8. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy
As CitizenWeb asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by arkos.io violates your copyright, and if this website resides in the USA, you are encouraged to notify CitizenWeb in accordance with CitizenWeb’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") Policy. CitizenWeb will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. CitizenWeb will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of CitizenWeb or others. In the case of such termination, CitizenWeb will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to CitizenWeb.
9. Intellectual Property
This Agreement does not transfer from CitizenWeb to you any CitizenWeb or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with CitizenWeb. CitizenWeb, arkos.io, the arkOS logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with arkos.io, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of CitizenWeb or CitizenWeb’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any CitizenWeb or third-party trademarks.
CitizenWeb reserves the right to display advertisements on your content unless you have purchased an Ad-free Upgrade or a Services account.
CitizenWeb reserves the right to display attribution links such as ‘Powered by arkos.io,’ theme author, and font attribution in your content footer or toolbar. Footer credits and the arkos.io toolbar may not be removed regardless of upgrades purchased.
CitizenWeb reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. CitizenWeb may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
CitizenWeb may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your arkos.io account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
14. Disclaimer of Warranties
The Website is provided "as is". CitizenWeb and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither CitizenWeb nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that cess thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. If you’re actually reading this, here’s a treat. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
15. Limitation of Liability
In no event will CitizenWeb, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to CitizenWeb under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. CitizenWeb shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
16. General Representation and Warranty
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless CitizenWeb, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between CitizenWeb and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of CitizenWeb, or by the posting by CitizenWeb of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the province of Quebec, Canada, excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the provincial and federal courts located in Montreal, Quebec. Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service, Inc. (“JAMS”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in Montreal, Quebec, in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; CitizenWeb may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
This document is CC-BY-SA. It was last updated April 20, 2016.Originally adapted from the WordPress Terms of Service.